EagleCals #36 The Blond Knight, Erich Hartmann’s G-6s in 32nd scale
“Yellow 1” Bf 109 G-6
“Yellow 1” Bf 109 G-6
“White 1” Bf 109 G-6
Jerry Crandall comments on his build: “This is another Hasegawa 1/32nd Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-14 kit built with our EagleCals #36 as Erich Hartmann’s << Winter camouflage while he was Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 53 for a few weeks, in early 1945. Log book lists the aircraft as a G-6 but it does have characteristics of a G-14. Both aircraft could be equipped with tall tails and Erla Haube canopy. The radio antenna wire attachment point behind the canopy is unusual for a G-6 however. The Black triangular scallops on the decal sheet are printed with slightly extra length for the Hasegawa kit. Trimming off the front edge may be necessary. I found, in building my model, I measured carefully the positioning and the length from the instruction sheet and photos and trimmed off about 1/16 of an inch. So careful measuring and trimming is the key to success on the scallops.
“I applied the scallops on the side of the cowling that fit over the small cowl scoop. At first it did not look like the decal would snuggle down over the scoop, but I had to be very patient and after about 1/2 hour, I liberally applied MicroSol and waited another hour, applied another coat and after 3 or 4 coats, low and behold the decal snuggled down and fit properly. I did have to take the tip of a sharp scalpel knife and puncture the leading edge of the scoop to open it up. All the decals fit perfectly. To replicate the old, apparently number ‘7’ behind the newly-applied Black <“
The spinner is EagleParts #20 which Jerry says is a work of art in itself!
Rick Kranias sent us, January 2014, his 1/32nd Revell Bf 109 G-6 kit build using our Hartmann decals. We have posted his model with his permission and comments. He also told us that the tulip nose are our decals, that he did not paint them on. Quite a compliment!
“After primer and pre-shading, standard RLM 74/75/83 upper and RLM 76 lower colors were applied. Gloss varnish applied and the decals were affixed with assist of a setting solution. Several additional coats of gloss varnish applied on national markings. After a week cure the national markings were masked with liquid mask. Winter wash applied. The winter wash scheme was achieved by mixing Tamiya Flat White XF-1 with Thinner 30:70. With airbrush setting at fine and psi about 20 I made about 3 passes on each panel.
“Scratch build items include Wiring Looms inside cockpit, Pedal Straps, FuG25a Antenna, Rear Cockpit Bulkhead, Canopy Grab Handles, Canopy Laynard and trim tabs on stabilizers. Pitot Tube and AAG-16 Antenna were drilled out and replaced with wire. Aerial line is nylon fishing line.”